Well, the first thing that happened to me when I drank water while standing was that my mother scolded me. It is quite usual when you are a kid that everyone tells to do something in a particular way and I was told that I should drink water while standing. The times were hard because I wanted to rush out for playing with my friends after taking a sip of water quickly. Instead, I had to take a glass, fill it, and drink it after properly sitting down. Jeez! It took so much time or so I thought at that time. There was always an elder ready to tell me, “Sit and drink”.
I grew up and started thinking, “Is there a right position for drinking water?” Even after all this thinking, I needed to drink water after sitting down only because I had no answers. Now, the questions in my mind were popping like popcorns in a cooker.
Why should you drink water while standing?
I was asking this question from everyone around me. I laughed like crazy after listening to all the reasons people gave me. Here are some of them to make you laugh as well.
- When you drink water while standing, it quickly passes out of the system as if there is a piping system inside my body.
- Some people said that it is written in Ayurveda, though I didn’t find anything similar after hours of exploring.
- Some said that standing position is not the right position for drinking water, and I wondered, “Is there any right manner for drinking water?” I mean, I drink it from my mouth only, not my nose or ears and I really don’t vape it.
- Some people said that it does not reach your organs properly and it made me question my entire education because I was taught that water does not reach anywhere directly. It goes to the small intestine, which absorbs the needed amount.
- Some people said that because I eat while sitting, I should drink while sitting.
- Some said it causes joint problems. I did not listen to it because I was afraid that next, they will say it causes cancer.
- Some “so-called” fitness expert said that it directly splashes on to your stomach walls and disrupt your digestion.
I won’t cause you a heart attack from laughing so much, so let’s stop here. Now when I heard these logics or I must say stupid logic, there were many more questions in my mind.
Give me a proof
I just wanted to find a person who died of a heart attack when drank water while standing or an animal who died of a stroke while quietly sipping water from the pond, because according to my knowledge, the entire animal species drink water in a standing position. It took me quite some time to make people around me understand that our body has a water absorption mechanism.
I was finding proof and the internet helped me as there are lots of right information on it apart from the stupid videos and blogs. Now, I want to ask you. What about the sportsperson who constantly drink water while standing? And the athletes and the marathon runners who sip from the bottles while running? What about people who drink while sitting but still suffer from joint pains when the old age comes?
I used to drink water while standing and I still do. I am fine. After an intense search, I haven’t found a case where drinking water while standing caused a death. Stop believing the stupid myths. Drink water while standing or sitting, when you want to drink it and whatever manner in which you want to quench your thirst.